Having fun (or trying to)
How to have more fun? Is it possible to turn boring activities into something fun?
I’ve wrote previously that success sits on the other side of enduring some boredom. Still, I feel like throughout my career I’ve endured too much of it.
I’d like to avoid boredom it in my side projects (and work) as much as possible. I’m not sure it’s even possible but I’d like to work on that.
I’ve even searched for “how to have more fun at work” but the results are uninspiring and mostly for those who work in a office.
What can I change to have more fun?
One obvious for me would be to listen to podcasts while I work. Unfortunately, I’m incapable of doing 2 things at once. What ends up happening is that I either focus on the task at hand or the podcast.
- Avoid multitasking. Something I’ve been using recently is the pomodoro technique. Setting a timer to do task. Focused attention on a single task.
- Listening to more music.
- As a remote worker I should try to change the scenery more often. Try cafe’s, restaurants, co-working spaces, hotel lobbies or in my at at the beach.
- Lunch time break to exercise
- Meditate during the day. I’ve done it on and off during the years but I pick it up permanently
- Setting breaks to read during the day
- Remove distractions and FOMO.
- Document more. Activities, thoughts, learnings.
The above doesn’t transform boring activities into fun but if it may make me feel good at the end of each day that should be good enough.